.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

J. Daniel Ashton

This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from jdashton. Make your own badge here.
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, —Ecclesiastes 9:10a NIV
The LORD God has told us what is right and what he demands:
"See that justice is done,
let mercy be your first concern,
and humbly obey your God." —Micah 6:8, CEV
With all your heart you must trust the LORD and not your own judgment.
Always let Him lead you, and He will clear the road for you to follow. —Proverbs 3:5,6 CEV

see also — My Homepage

My Photo
Name: Daniel Ashton
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

Any links with a dashed underscore probably point to Amazon.com

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Wonderful Weekend

I just want to put down, before I forget, some of the highlights of this weekend.

Because we had a couple of "last-minute" additions to the "orchestra" for our concert Sabbath afternoon, it seemed prudent and helpful to invite all the players to have supper with us Friday evening, giving us the opportunity to run through the music and to sight-read some chamber works together. It didn't all work out precisely as we had hoped, but it was a delightful evening anyway. E&GM (harpsichord and recorder/flute) came over before supper and sundown to run through my number with them, a recorder-harpsichord-cello trio in D minor by Francesco Mancini. G had asked me to play cello for her for two numbers, the Mancini and a Haydn flute-piano-cello trio in F major, and the invitation and cello playing brought me much joy.

DG (harpsichord/piano/viola) & AZ (cello) came by a little later, and we were soon joined by DB (violin). Vicki had prepared a lovely buffet supper with miniature quiches, cheese and crackers, potato soup and other delights. After we ate we went through the two orchestra numbers, which were "On Thee Each Living Soul Awaits," number 27 from Haydn's Creation, and "Laudamus Te" from Vivaldi's well-known Gloria. I had spent some time typesetting the string parts for the Creation number, as well as transcribing the French horn and bassoon parts so that we (strings) could cover them. On that number I played double bass. On the Vivaldi I played viola, and noticed, as I did throughout the weekend, that my viola is speaking very powerfully: it surprised and pleased me each time I played it. AZ, DG and I spent quite some time practicing "my" number, the violin sonata number 4 in D major attributed to Handel. Before the evening was over we took time to sight-read a few quartets by Schubert. I played violin, trading off 1st/2nd with DB, so I had the pleasure of playing all four instruments that evening.

Sabbath morning Vicki, AZ, DG and I played with the hymns for the church service at Triadelphia. Potluck was tasty, as usual. We spent the afternoon in gentle warm-ups and run-throughs, preparing for the concert at four o'clock. The Vivaldi parts I had sought were well received and appreciated by the vocalists. The concert consisted of twelve selections by ten soloists, with a few extra piano, harpsichord, string or flute accompanists thrown in for good measure. My Handel sonata was 8th on the program, and from that time on I was involved in every number, playing (in this order) violin (Handel), viola (Vivaldi), cello (Mancini), cello (Haydn) and double bass (Haydn). Being able, and being permitted, even invited, to play so many instruments, brings me much joy.

The concert was followed by a reception, and as we left, snow began to fall.

Most Sunday mornings are as early for us as any other day, because we take our kids to a nearby barn, where they help our good friend DM clean stalls and feed and groom horses. They work in exchange for discounted riding lessons. This week promised to be more complex than usual because I had agreed to lead the choir at Rockville United Methodist Church, where my good friend DG plays organ each week. And we suddenly had a couple inches of snow. With a certain amount of trepidation we set out together for the barn. The nearby roads and freeway were passable, but the last road was completely unplowed, with only a few sets of tire tracks disturbing the white surface. Our front-wheel drive Chrysler minivan has traction control of sorts, so I decided to chance it. We reached the barn (that's the downhill part of the trip) and dropped off the kids. We made it out of the barn driveway on the first try, unlike the previous week, but we couldn't gain enough traction to make it up the first hill. I gently backed to the bottom of the hill, and with the longer run we were able to achieve a more favorable balance of traction and momentum. Vicki captured several photographs that give you a mere hint of the beauty and wonder of driving on new-fallen snow.

We made it back home without further mishap. To my surprise and delight Vicki agreed to go to the church with me. As we drove I handed her a copy of the anthem, and we listened to the demo recording several times as she casually reviewed the alto line. I was somewhat dismayed to find, on arriving at the church, that the parking lot was essentially empty, and the choir room devoid of both chairs and choristers, save for one loyal bass. A few minutes before the service began we were joined by one soprano and one tenor. Vicki stood in for the alto section, and we had all the parts covered.

The afternoon was pleasantly family-oriented. Sabbath was Beth's birthday, largely uncelebrated because of all the fuss surrounding the concert, so on Sunday we splurged on lunch at Chipotle and supper at a nearby Japanese steakhouse. In the afternoon Beth opened her gifts, one of which was a Visible Horse model. I spent some time showing her how to trim the parts and fit them together, and I got started on one of my Christmas gifts from William, a model Plymouth Prowler.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home